Being prepared for your shoot can make you feel more confident, relaxed and contribute greatly to the quality of the shots. As a photographer, I do this all the time and know how to prepare. But most people only get new head shots maybe every 5 years, so I put together the list below to help you prepare and feel more confident and relaxed when we get down to work.
- Simple is always best. Clothing with patterns can detract from the person and who you are is the story we are trying to tell.
- If you’re wearing a suit for your head shot, choosing a darker color is usually best. Dark gray or navy blue with a light shirt and a medium tone tie is usually a good combination.
- Avoid pure white or pure black clothing as details can be lost in the photos. Also avoid shiny fabrics as they can reflect and detract from your face.
- If you are wearing makeup, don't overdo it. Basic retouching is included in your head shots and portraits, so don't worry too much about covering anything up. Again, we want to see you - not you behind a layer of makeup.
- Drink plenty of water the night before the shoot. It can make an amazing difference in the smoothness of your skin under bright lighting.
- Spend some time practicing in a mirror. Seriously. If there is a look you are after, try to find it before the shoot. We'll take the time needed but I want you to come away with the best photos and the looks you want.